Chinese Medicine is a complete natural system of medicine – the oldest continually practiced medical system in the world. It dates back to the Stone Age and has 2,500 years of documented history. From China, it spread to other Asian countries including Japan, Korea and Viet Nam, then to Europe during the age of exploration, and to the Americas through Asian immigrants. Chinese and Asian Medicine has been a part of mainstream medicine in the US since the 1980’s.
Treatment methods of Asian Medicine:
Acupuncture is the most widely known modality of Asian Medicine. Other methods include:
- Chinese herbal medicine
- Tui Na – Chinese body work and deep tissue massage
- Acupressure (finger pressure on acupuncture points) and Shiatsu
- Cupping and Moxibustion
- Diet and lifestyle counseling
- Qi Gong and Tai Ji (Tai Chi) exercises
- in ancient times, even Feng Shui (an environmental design method) was part of the medicine.